To join the South Central Buchanan County Fire Department, one must meet minimum requirements. They are listed below.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Apply with the Chief of the Department.
- Be compatible with department members as determined by the Fire Chief, the Assistant Fire Chief, and the Captain of the firehouse the applicant would be assigned upon appointment by the Fire Chief.
- Possess and maintain a minimum of a valid Missouri Operators License.
- Have completed a minimum of twenty (20) hours of initial firefighting training before being eligible for active duty as determined by the Fire Chief.
- Maintain twenty (20) hours of training on an annual basis (provided ample local training has been made available and is accessible to the firefighter).
- A firefighter applicant will agree to a complete background check and driving history review by the Fire Chief. Should the check reveal a felony background, extensive misdemeanor and infraction violations or extensive driving history violations, the Fire Chief will present the information to the Personnel Review Committee (PRC) before rejecting the applicant. The committee will consist of the current President, Secretary, and Treasurer of the District, the Fire Chief, and the Assistant Fire Chief. The PRC will review the background and driving history results and determine if it is in the best interest of the Fire Department to accept or reject the applicant. The decision of the PRC is final.
- Should an applicant not complete initial firefighter training, or if the Fire Chief determines it is not in the best interest to accept an applicant, the Fire Chief may reject the applicant. The applicant will be notified of this determination by the Fire Chief. The applicant may appeal the decision of the Fire Chief to the PRC committee. The decision of the PRC will be final.
- Submit to medical physical examination, including drug screen testing upon request of the Fire Department. Results of these tests may be used as rejection criteria for admission to or continued association with the Department.
- Be a United States Citizen.
- Applicants should:
- Reside within the South Central Buchanan County Fire Protection District.
- Be in good physical condition as determined by the applicant or by a physician during a physical exam as requested by the Fire Department.
- Possess a minimum of a High School Diploma / GED